Saturday, April 11, 2009

Stockbridge Shelter, Cave Shelter, Hippo Rock-Harriman State Park, NY
















For this trek, consult NY-NJ Trail Conference Map #119
I have been section hiking the Long Path which is blazed in aqua. For this section, I parked in the Long Path parking lot located on Route 6 in Harriman State Park. I followed the aqua blazes across Route 6 (be very careful crossing the highway) and headed into the woods of Harriman State Park. The trail is pretty rugged and dotted with rocks as it ascends. I spotted three White Tailed Deer as I headed up to the Cave Shelter. The Cave Shelter is an awesome sight, but I would not recommend bedding down in it. It is damp, dark and exposed. The Cave was discovered in the summer of 1922. There is a fireplace next to it and plenty of places to pitch a tent around it. I did a couple of hand pulls and climb over the Cave Shelter. The trail begins to ascend more steadily at this junction. After approximately one mile I reached the Stockbridge Shelter. It is one of the most inviting shelters in all of Harriman State Park. It has two fireplaces, plenty of room and a nice view from it. The Shelter was built in 1928. After about 1/2 mile from the Stockbridge Shelter, you encounter a great Boulder named Hippo Rock. Pause here and see if you can see the Hippo. Again, there are plenty of places to pitch a tent and many fireplaces in the immediate area. This is a very nice part of the Long Path, but just be prepared for some rugged terrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment