Saturday, April 4, 2009

Long Path-Fort Lee, NJ to Rockefeller Lookout







(Miles 1-3.45) I began my hike where it all began...the beginning of the Long Path in Fort Lee Historic Park, NJ. Park your vehicle in the parking lot and begin your adventure. I was a little disappointed to say the least as I was expecting some type of monument commemorating the beginning of the Long Path. All I was greeted with was the three aqua blazes signifying the beginning of the famous Long Path. I made my way down the path as it begin and exited Fort Lee Historic Park and turned north onto River Road. I followed the blazes upward and was rewarded with an awesome view of the George Washington Bridge and the Hudson River. The vistas from the trail are truly amazing. I spotted a red tailed hawk and a few rabbits. This section of the Long Path travels along the cliffs of the Palisades. To your right is the Hudson River and to the left is the Palisades Interstate Parkway, which tends to be a bit noisy along the way. At approximately mile1.35 the trail parallels a gas station which has restrooms and food and beverages. At approximately mile 1.60 the trail leads to Alison Park. I strongly recommend that you stray off the Long Path for a moment and stroll the park. The park is named after William O. Alison who lived in the area for most of his life. Reconnect with the Long Path and at mile 2.95 you will be in awe of the High Tom Promontory. Amazing views of the cliffs and the Hudson River. This is a great place to stop, take pictures and enjoy the views. I continued ahead and reached the Rockefeller Lookout. Again, the views from the Rockefeller Lookout are incredible. I turned around at this junction and headed back down the Long Path until it intersected with the yellow blazed Dyckman Hills Trail. Follow the yellow blazes downward and you will be rewarded with a beautiful waterfall. As the yellow blazes ended, I connected with the white blazed Shore Trail. The Shore Trail is amazing. It follows the Hudson River and affords views of both the George Washington Bridge and the cliffs of the Palisades. Along the way I noticed a lovely patch of Daffodils and some stone work. PLEASE DO NOT PICK THE FLOWERS! I was lucky enough to speak to "Dan" the gentleman who lovingly planted the Daffodils and is painstakingly building stone walls. Dan was nice enough to point out the many different types of Daffodils that were blooming and a patch of moss that he planted. I followed the Shore Trail for approximately another 2 miles until I found myself under the George Washington Bridge. After pausing to take some photographs, I headed upward along the Shore Trail until it led me back to Fort Lee Historic Park. All in all, a terrific hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment